Sunday, March 31, 2019

2019 Vegetable Garden: 7 Weeks Before Frost Free Date


This morning I looked at my vegetable garden with its 3 foot snowbanks still occupying the space wondering how I would get my first crops planted. Cold crops are to be planted this time of year so they can ripen before the heat of summer. If you wait too long, the lettuce will bolt and the carrots will become bitter before they are ready to pick. 

So, patio gardening to the rescue! That's right, I am planting my cold crops in pots this year. I decided to try this mainly with the carrots as I want fresh carrots early in the season and they are the worst to transplant. All my other seeds went into the Areogarden. This will give me the opportunity to start those crops and transplant into the garden at a later time when the soil is workable.

Week 7 down and 6 to go until we are at our frost free stage of the gardening season!

No comments:

Post a Comment