Thursday, December 5, 2013

Christmas Baking: Krumkake

Being we have had our first snowfall of the season this week, I decided to do a little Christmas baking today. (That and I got my new food processor and was dying to try it out.) I am Scandinavian so it is only right for me to make some traditional recipes, with a gluten free twist of course.

Krumkake has always been one of my favorites next to Cream Lefse (no potatoes), which I am still searching for a recipe that is gluten free. I came across a recipe for Krumkake though and tweaked it a bit to suit my needs. Here it is:

Gluten Free Swedish Krumkake 
Yields about 4 dozen

1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons White Rice Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Starch
1/3 cup Sweet Rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (or butter substitute like Earth Balance), cubed
1 cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
1 cup Milk (I used Lactaid)

1 Krumkake Iron
1 Wooden Cone (I used two)
1 Eight-Cup Food Processor


In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the flours and gum until well blended. Set aside. In an 8-cup food processor, add butter and sugar. Blend mixture together on low until butter and sugar are fluffy. Add vanilla, eggs, and half of milk. Blend until mixture is completely combined making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add flour mixture and rest of milk. Blend until mixture is smooth.


Next, preheat your iron over medium heat. I used a stovetop one, but an electric one will work too. Season your iron with vegetable oil. Make sure you wipe off the excess with a paper towel. I didn't do this and caused a small grease fire to light when I flipped the iron and oil dripped on the burner. Nothing major. I turned the burner off right away and removed the pan from the stovetop in a blink of the eye. Didn't even give my smoke alarm a chance to go off! But, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy, and if you cannot put the fire out in the matter of 10 seconds, call your fire department at 911.


Back to baking. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of batter and drop in middle of iron. Close the iron being careful not to squeeze too hard and wait about 30 seconds. Flip iron to other side and wait another 30 seconds. Open iron to peak at the cookie. It should be a light golden brown. With a butter knife carefully remove the cookie to a parchment paper topped area. With your wooden cone, immediately roll cookie around it to form a cone. Leave the cone in the cookie until it has cooled, which is about 30  seconds in our warm kitchen. Store cookies in air tight container. You can fill them with whip cream and berries before serving, but I like to eat mine plain. Enjoy!




We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment