Saturday, October 17, 2015

Best Gluten Free Baker in the County!

Yes, it is official! I am the best gluten free baker in the county! Woohoo!!!

The county fair this year was a huge success as they opened up a gluten free cake contest and anyone could enter any kind of cake of their choosing so long as it was gluten free and the flour mixture was homemade and not store bought. I couldn't wait to try and see if I could make a gluten free cake worthy of the grand prize.

It took me forever though to figure out what to make for the contest. I have made gluten free Shirley Temple Cupcakes (the drink not the actress). Those were a huge success. I made S'More Cupcakes for my last birthday party, which were so moist and scrumptious! I have also baked plain cakes, holiday cakes, and everyday snack cakes that were also good. With my three to four years of baking, cooking, and eating gluten free, I couldn't believe all the cake recipes I had accumulated!

Yes, when I started my gluten free lifestyle I had to throw out practically every recipe I had in my drawer as I found out I couldn't make the things I had for years and years without being reminded how the texture and taste wasn't like I remembered. I was so depressed to open my drawer and find only a handful of recipes that saved the evil garbage can. But, that is another story and I am proud to say there is a happy ending with my recipe drawer being plump full again!

Any who... back to the cake!

So, I finally consulted my mom as she knows all the right answers (most of the time...) and she suggested chocolate. She is such a big fan of chocolate. What am I talking about!? I am such a big fan of chocolate! So, the perfect cake was decided on as a single layer triple chocolate snack cake with vanilla frosting. Hmmm, so good!

I chose a snack cake as our recipes would be submitted with our creations for other exhibitors and guests to view. I wanted to choose a cake that was also something everyone felt they could make in their own homes at any time of the year like a, "I made this cake just because I wanted to," type of feeling. I hate leaving all the baking until a holiday, as everyday is special and we make many memories outside of holidays on a day where we just relaxed and said, "Let's do this just because!"

Okay, I know you are dying to see what this cake looked like so here we go!


Yes, the ribbon is covering up most of it but.... I got grand champion! I couldn't believe it! I still can't believe it.

The cake is hard to make out but I shaved some chocolate and sprinkled it over the top of the frosting. Of course, the frosting melted a bit on that 90 degree day when we brought our exhibits to the fair. The judges still thought it tasted great though! I had actually made two cakes and brought the best one. We ate the one I left at home after the contest and I can honestly say it was to die for!

You may also notice the reserve champion ribbon in the bottom right corner. I did very well at the fair this year and that is for my canning entries. So, here is another picture of me with all of my winning exhibits!



It is like a mini fair don't you think! I say all my winning exhibits because the 25% of the projects I didn't place on couldn't fit on the table!

I just love living and growing up in the country on a farm and being able to make and do things with my own two hands. And, the fair has always been the annual highlight of the year! It is even better than Christmas and my birthday tied together as one!

If you enter at your local county fair, tell me about your stories. I love hearing about how other people did and what they made. Leave me a comment down below.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment