Sunday, January 10, 2016

How to Sew Valances out of Drapes - How to Make Cheap Thrifty Curtains

My new living room is coming together splendidly! Well, at least the carpet was installed. The old carpet in the living room was beyond warn and was a horrible shade of PINK!!! Don't worry, I spared you from seeing a picture of it. (If you are desperately interested in seeing the original color, I may have shown it in a YouTube video of one of my channels, but only for an instant!)

This new carpet is a lovely shade of sea salt, which is a gray/blue during the morning and a gray/green at night. It reminds me so much of the ocean even though I don't live anywhere near it!

But, because I got new carpet, I just had to get new curtains that fit my new color scheme. So, off shopping I went to the local dollar store to see what they had in stock. Turns out they had a lot of curtains and in many colors. I found a set of blue valances that looked just perfect for my room! Alas, the price was pretty steep. $8 for one valance and I needed 8 of them meaning I had to pay $64! I did have a coupon for a little savings where I could buy three valances and get one free. However, that would only save me $16. I guess that wasn't the worst to pay $48 for 8 curtains. However, I noticed that they had drapes in the same color and they were only $12 for one panel. That one panel had more fabric to it then 2 valances. Meaning I would pay less if I bought the drapes per square inch of material.

My mind started calculating when I was at the store and found out that I could easily get a drape to cover four windows, meaning that I would only need to buy 2 panels to have valances for 8 windows! $24 for new curtains sounded like a way better deal to me! All I needed was a little time, some basic sewing supplies, and I saved myself $$$$ that I can use to buy other decorative items for my room. Watch the video below to see how I did it!



Easy wasn't it? I just loved how the curtains turned out and you could actually make them even prettier if you wanted to by adding embroidery, fancy ruffled edges, or cutting them at other angles. The drape was really like starting out with a good base fabric that you can buy from the bolt by the yard. I loved this technique and will probably do it again.

If you have any questions, please leave me a comment below. Otherwise, have fun and thanks for watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment