Saturday, January 9, 2016

How to Make Gluten Free Special K Bars

My Mom always made some kind of delicious treat in our house especially over the winter months when we were all cooped up inside. Bars seemed to be her forte and she always had plenty of recipes to use throughout the cold months.

One of those recipes was a tattered index card I found when searching through our recipe drawer. (Yes, it is a big drawer full of clippings from newspapers, magazines, and scrawled notes.) It was one of my favorites, and from the wear of the card, it was one my Mom must have loved, too.

The Special K bars my Mom made were always made with Special K Cereal. She never substituted. However, the cereal was rather expensive, even in those days. So, we only got to have the bars if the grocery store had a special on the cereal. And, boy was it ever special!

Alas, when I had to eat gluten free, it was one of those recipes that slid to the very back corner of the drawer, forgotten. That is until I walked down the cereal aisle to take a shortcut to the meat department when I saw a special on Special K. I glanced at it a little forlorn until I spotted that bright blue box with the big red K proclaiming, "GLUTEN FREE."

I couldn't believe my eyes! That, and the gluten free cereal was also included in the grocery stores special. That is a rare treat as most of the time the gluten free foods are excluded from such sales. I snatched a box immediately and hurried to checkout forgetting all about the meat department!

I made a mad dash to that recipe drawer and just about cleared the entire thing until I excavated that old recipe I loved so much when I was a kid from the dark depths. It was well worth it!

I was so excited about my results that I just had to share this recipe with you so that you may also share is this treasure of a delightful dessert. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup White Syrup
2/3 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
3 cups Special K Cereal - Gluten Free
1 cup Gluten Free Chocolate Chips

Instructions:
Heat sugar and syrup in pot over high heat on stove. Stir rapidly making sure all sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat before mixture begins to boil.

Add peanut butter and stir until well combined and smooth. Pour mixture over cereal and mix together to make sure cereal is well coated.

Spread the mixture into an 8 inch by 8 inch or 9 inch by 9 inch square pan. Make sure to firmly press the mixture so it is as even as possible.

Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on high for 1 minute. Stir. Reheat the chocolate for 30 second intervals on high, stirring after each interval until chocolate is smooth. Spread the chocolate evenly over the bars.

Let the bars cool for 2 to 3 hours before eating. To speed up the cooling process, you can place them in the refrigerator.

If you want to double these delights, you can! Doubling the ingredients will make a 9 inch by 13 inch pan of bars.

I hope you enjoyed the video, and if you have any questions, please leave me a comment below.

Thanks for watching, and have a great day!



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment