Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Canning

There is nothing like getting together with friends and neighbors. And, that is exactly what I did this evening when my church women's group got together to learn how to pressure can. Now I have done water bath canning, which I helped my mom do this summer. (I even got champion and reserve champion on my canned goods at this year's county fair to boot!) But, pressure canning is something new to me. I found it was something new to many of us women that attended the get-together.

The reason why I stay away from pressure canning is because it looks like you are creating a bomb. I mean, all those pounds of pressure recipes call for seems unsafe for the average cook. Yet, I need to overcome my fears as I want to can items that call for this method such as soups, vegetables, and stock. 

What I'd really like is an automatic pressure canner like the auto canner Ball came up with for steam canning to replace water-bath canning. You can learn more about this new gizmo here: http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-freshtech-automatic-home-canning-system/shop/613560/. Isn't this system just devine? Of course, I would absolutely love it if it could can everything safely, but maybe in the future.

Until then, I did learn how to pressure can and nothing exploded. One more step taken to my ultimate goal of becoming more self-sufficient.



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment