Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook by America's Test Kitchen


Okay, I have been a big fan of America's Test Kitchen even before I knew what a Gluten Free lifestyle was. I have enjoyed their show on our local PBS station's Create channel. I also love the fact that they test the recipes and techniques over and over again and spell out everything in detail so you can make the same delicious food at home. So, when I heard they came out with a gluten free cookbook, I just had to have it!

If you have tried other recipes you have found on the Internet that are gluten free, you probably came across two sets of people. The first, try to mimic the foods they used to bake and eat before they had to go on a gluten free diet. The second, state that you cannot recreate the foods and it is better to switch to new recipes. For example, instead of trying to make mac n' cheese, you should make a cheese souffle. I am for making foods that taste like I remembered them. After all, a chocolate chip cookie and fudge brownie are hard to replace.

Well, I purchased this cookbook from a seller on eBay as it was cheaper than buying it directly from the bookstore. I was so pleased when I opened it up and it had all my old favorites of waffles, fried chicken, birthday cake, and the chocolate chip cookies! The foods pictured above are all the first recipes I tried and they were very good. They require a lot of preparation, but the ingredients are simple. And, I also love the fact that America's test kitchen even narrated how they came to the recipe they published and what they tried that didn't work and why their recipes work. It also gives thorough step-by-step instructions and pictures so I know what the batter should look like before I place it in the cake pan, and just how much oil the chicken should be sitting in for frying. I am a very detail-oriented person, and this book even exceeded my expectations.

And, did I tell you that the food was absolutely delish?! Even my family, who does not eat a gluten free diet like myself, thought these recipes were absolutely wonderful and tasted just like the foods they eat on a regular basis. Now that says a mouthful for me as I can't remember exactly what a cupcake tasted several years ago when I had a gluten version. But, if these recipes can make food lovers of all diets happy, I am happy. Therefore, I strongly suggest that if you come across a copy of this book, to add it to your collection. I have given this book a prominent spot on my bookshelf, and I hope you will too.



We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment