Saturday, October 25, 2014

Corncob Mulch - Just In Time for Harvest


Sorry that I haven't been on here for awhile. But, I live in the Midwest where corn harvest season is in full swing. We farmers are trying to beat Mother Nature in getting our crop out before the snow. So far we are succeeding.

We had a corn field we just harvested located around our farm site. Usually, corncobs from the combine are shot into the nice green, grassy yard. I usually rake all those corncobs back into the field. But this year I got a different idea.

We all know that gardening can get to be expensive so we as gardeners try to cut costs when we can by composting, gathering our own seeds from plants, and taking advantage of greenhouse sales. Mulch is another one of those items that can get to be expensive and I found a way to cut on costs by using corncobs.

Yes, corncobs might sound unusual but this kind of mulch has been around for years. I found a paper from the 1940s that boasted how corncobs was the best mulch Americans produced annually. My Mom also had a Better Homes and Gardens book, "Complete Guide to Gardening" published 1979 that gave corncobs a thumbs up review for being mulch. Of course, there are many more mulches to choose from and if you are not mulching yet, you should be as it saves on water loss, weeds, and rain-packed soil that is hard to hoe.

Corncobs are best used when dried and ground. If you do not have a cornfield near by to snatch a few of these gems, you can also use sweet corn cobs from your garden. Just make sure to leave the cobs in the sun to dry for a few days after the corn has been eaten. The cobs will become lighter as they dry.

Ground corncobs should be applied to the garden in a depth of 2-3 inches. They help improve soil structure, fertility, and don't blow away as easily as some other mulches. They are especially good for roses or other plants needing a medium acid soil. Just make sure to apply the fertilizer and compost to the garden bed before laying the corncobs on top.

I have a rose garden on the south side of my house with very dry soil. So, I decided to scoop up the corncob pieces from the yard and dump them in the flower bed. The cobs will hold the rain water and give my roses the root protection from the cold winters by providing a nice layer of insulation. I am hoping for good results from my new mulching technique.

Hope you give it a try, too! Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment