Friday, November 6, 2015

How to Organize Your Freezer

Before the holidays come along I like to go through my cupboards and freezer to clean things out. I usually end up doing this as I buy my turkey ahead of time like the year before when grocery stores want to get rid of them and give a deep discount after the holiday season has passed. Being a turkey lasts for a year in your freezer according to the USDA, I safely cook and eat it within this time for Thanksgiving from my purchase in January!

Of course, that means my turkey has been buried on the bottom of my freezer for the good part of the year and I have to dig everything out if it anyway to get at it. So, that is what I did today and found that my freezer needed a good defrosting on top of all that.

Because I have to remove all the food from the freezer for defrosting, I could also clean it. And, as one thing led to another, I decided if I was going through all that work I could just as well reorganize my freezer like I have been meaning to do for years.

I ended up finding some plastic milk crates at Menard's for about $3 a piece. My deep freeze is on the smaller size so I can only fit 3 in my freezer. With that in mind, I had to categorize my items into three - four major food groups. My groups were as follows:
  1. Frozen vegetables
  2. Poultry
  3. Red meats
  4. Gluten free
I did have some miscellaneous items such as some soup stock and frozen fruit that I packed in the sides around the crates. But for the most part, I think it turned out pretty good for doing this on short notice.

Here are the results!



If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thanks for watching and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment